Forums
EU needs independency from USA - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://eu-forums.com)
+-- Forum: EU Forums (https://eu-forums.com/forum-19.html)
+--- Forum: General EU chat (https://eu-forums.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: EU needs independency from USA (/thread-1204.html)

EU needs independency from USA - AriRusila - 07-19-2008

In Europe the Kosovo question highlights the core problem of EU - uncritical following of US foreign (cowboy) policy . Some times I ask if it is EU or only UK the 51st state of USA. Year 2008 has showed the chaotic stage of international Kosovo administration. Local administration has been in same situation already earlier due parallel institutions, corruption, ethnic tensions, tribe dynasties etc.

Very interesting interview of John Bolton, former US Undersecretary of State and Ambassador to the United Nations popped to my eyes few weeks ago. The highlights of his comments in Interfax interview were e.g. following:

Quote:* US recognition of severed Kosovo province was a serious mistake, leading to an escalation of tensions, instead of calming down the situation in the Balkans.

* support to the independence of Kosovo is an atavism that might have made sense 15 years ago, but makes no sense today.

* consensus boils down to the fact that nobody knows where Kosovo is

Mr Bolton really hit the nail on the head. I also think that the cause to the main problems in Kosovo is hesitation to admit old mistakes. The solution would be starting from clean table.

However two weeks ago U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Daniel Fried said that the U.S. is satisfied with the progress Kosovo. He also add that:

Quote:It is a place completely independent, regardless of whether a UN resolution says that exists or not. It is independent. Kosovo has been recognized by two-thirds of the EU sates, Europe, Japan and Australia. It is as an independent country. I feel sorry that Russia has chosen to make this thing more difficult rather than to ease it, risking the stability but also the European future of Serbia.

To me it is alarming, that this US policy has been made both during democratic and republican US presidents and not only in Balkans but e.g. in Iraq also. Future shows if the change will come with new president, will he change old advisers also. And will US succeed to gain support for these actions either through the use of NATO or by persuading the European Community or the newly emerging states of Central and Eastern Europe to get on side. :bombe
Tags: | Kosovo | Serbia | crisis management | USA foreign policy | EU enlargement |

Re: EU needs independency from USA - Benn - 07-20-2008

Why isn't the EU doing anything in order to dispose of the American influence here, on our continent? Do you think it's the UK which is America's ally here?

Re: EU needs independency from USA - clearman - 07-20-2008

AriRusila Wrote:Central and Eastern Europe to get on side. :bombe

Maybe, the Europeans, have to do something with the greedy American foreign policy :nonnon

AriRusila Wrote:In Europe the Kosovo question highlights the core problem of EU - uncritical following of US foreign (cowboy) policy . Some times I ask if it is EU or only UK the 51st state of USA. Year 2008 has showed the chaotic stage of international Kosovo administration.

Good point.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - AriRusila - 07-21-2008

New Deal could be solution to Kosovo problem

Today´s Kosovo is an example of frozen conflict with thread to come next “failed state” in World. Negotiations during Ahtisaari time were waste of time; Troika lead talks showed some innovative solutions to status question, but Albanian side did not need to talk because USA had promised them independence. This created the core problem.

The way out could be to make a New Deal: US revises its foreign policy after elections and withdraws recognizing of Kosovo, real talks are starting and ending to bitter compromise (e.g. partitioning Kosovo, applying Hong Kong model …), Serbia and Kosovo are concentrating more to economical/social questions instead of quarreling borders. Pragmatic and maybe realistic result but needs hard work from all stakeholders.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - M.Helen - 07-21-2008

So the conflict between Kosovo and Serbia might vinish in future?

Re: EU needs independency from USA - AriRusila - 07-21-2008

Yes, I think that to some level Kosovo conflict can be solved if both parties - Serbs and Albanians - are making deal. The 1st level would be ethnic tolerance, 2nd level including multiethnic society needs probably more time.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - Steven - 07-22-2008

I don't believe it will disappear, the problem of different ethnics' views is a very deep one and I would say even after 50 years, lots of issues will exist between these two countries.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - AriRusila - 07-22-2008

I agree. I am not sure if it was Mrs Durham some 100 years ago who said that people in Balkans are "Living Past". However the time frame is quite different than anywhere else. I have met there people who are remembering events 100, 200, 600 years ago like they had happened yesterday.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - Terry - 07-25-2008

Maybe this is the education from the country which teaches history in schools in a very detailed way?

Re: EU needs independency from USA - clearman - 07-26-2008

Re: EU needs independency from USA - clearman - 07-26-2008

Re: EU needs independency from USA - Benn - 07-27-2008

still, Americans consider themselves smarter than anyone else.

Re: EU needs independency from USA - Terry - 07-29-2008

5 reasons why Europeans live better than Americans
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/5-ways-europeans-live-better-than-americans/">http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/5-ways-europ ... americans/</a><!-- m -->