Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions about fasting
I can tell you never to give up if you start. Sometime you could brake it by mistake. If you do that don't give up, but continue as if it never happened. Try not to stop fasting if you start.

There is one fasting period incomming. From August 14th to August 28th. In that period you shouldn't eat meat, milk, chees, eggs and food derived from it or containing it, or food prepared with oil. On weekends you can use vegitable oil. You can eat fish only at August 19th. You shouldn't use any psychoactive substances(alchohol, drugs, etc) or medicines (if you have no chronical illness).

This is Ortodox Church rules. Consult with your own priest if you aren't ortodox believer.

You should go to church every sunday, restrain yourself from quarrols, bad language, mastrurbation or sex if you are not married. Be good and understanding, at least for this period.

That are rules that you may try to follow, but if you are just beginner and if you are trying it for the first time, than you could use vegitable oil and sea fruits. Next time you could try more if you want.

Cheers Confuseduper
who can forbid God to use evolution as his own instrument of creation ?

Does fasting prohibites to drink alcohol?

According to the nutritionists, fasting can be a very good "body self cleansing" process, where it can clean all the toxics from our body...

you can try eating several cucumbers and then drink milk, it's the same body cleaning! ;-)

Faw_Peter Wrote:you can try eating several cucumbers and then drink milk, it's the same body cleaning! ;-)

Oh, it's true, Peter? As I knew, the cucumbers are a good body cleansing vegetable, but I didn't sure about the milk...

Hmm..., I might like to try this method in the near future, thanks for the tips Smile

you're welcome Willy, but make sure you will spend the whole day home, since it's a really good laxative Smile

Faw_Peter Wrote:Does fasting prohibites to drink alcohol?
At some days (mostly sundays) it is permited to drink some red wine, not more than two glasses of it at that day. In upcomming fast there are no fasting days of that kind.

Is it the period between August 14-28? Am I right?
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Yes, including 14th and excluding 28th. It is dedicated to the st. Maria, the Mother of Jesus. If someone wants to practise complete fast, than he must practise more prayers to Her in this period.

14 days of fasting sounds like difficult. You guys probably have a hard will to do that
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

The Ramadhan is approaching by and the muslims need to undergoing a 30 days of fasting in this upcoming 1st September...

Did everyone survive this fast?

By the way, which is the longest fasting period during the year? How many days does it last?
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Eastern fast: gregorian> March 10th - April 27th (julian> February 26th - April 14th)
48 days.

it's related to Easter, right? On the Easter people are already free not to fast.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

People are free anyway, fasting or not. This is not mesure against freedom. ;-)

Ortodox Christian believers are calculating time by Julian calender, and have different rule for Easter than Catolics. Resurection of Christ were celebrated at April 27th (April 14th) this year. It was the day that ended Easter fasting.

I found a good calendar for Orthodox events
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/calendar.asp">http://www.goarch.org/en/chapel/calendar.asp</a><!-- m -->

I think fasting is not a compulsory action that will prove your believe in your religion. If you believe in something, rituals can be passed from time to time.

Karl.in.eu Wrote:I think fasting is not a compulsory action that will prove your believe in your religion. If you believe in something, rituals can be passed from time to time.
Christianity considers fasting to be one of the obligation a Christian should follow. This is part of the belief. So, for true believers, fasting is a compulsory action.

two more weeks Christians will be fasting the longest fasting period during the year - 40 days, and then, according to the tradition, Easter comes. They will be celebrating by dyeing red eggs, cooking paskha (Easter dessert of pot cheese mixed with sugar, butter, and raisins)

Nathan Wrote:two more weeks Christians will be fasting the longest fasting period during the year - 40 days, and then, according to the tradition, Easter comes. They will be celebrating by dyeing red eggs, cooking paskha (Easter dessert of pot cheese mixed with sugar, butter, and raisins)

The fasting ended on the Orthodox Easter day (last Sunday). It's interesting to know that there are special days during fasting when fish is allowed to be eaten. It's related to certain religous days, for example Jesus' entrance in Jerusalem (as it's taken as a cheer-up)

I think the main reason in fasting is to renounce not just from eating animal products by purifying your body but also to purifying the soul by going to the church and pray to God, to forgive all the sins. It is important to have an adequate comportment, not to swear, tot to curse or make somebody sad. You just should be a good man during this period of time, and try to stay that all the rest of your life.