Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much would it cost to travel around the world?
Iv'e always loved travelling, and it has always been a dream to travel round the world. You see things on tv like Kat & alfie on eastenders go off with £10 to "travel the world" but in reality, Whats a typical trip like?
How many places would you actually go and how much does it cost? Do people stay in hostels? Isn't it dangerous? Where would you go once you get there?

Thanks, Any tips or previous experience appriciated!

I think for the economy-class fares for the most basic around-the-world itineraries the budget can start around $2, 000. or maybe higher. Just an estimated or it depends on what country you'll be going.

You can get multi-stop or round-the-world plane tickets from travel agents like sta travel. They are normally valid for one year and priced according to the number of miles/km you intend to travel. In Europe, you can also get Interrail (train) or Eurolines (coach) passes to give unlimited travel for n months.

Hostels are great - you get to meet loads of interesting people :-) , but it's best to stay in reputable ones, like International Youth Hostel Association or St Christophers' Inns. You could also try Kibbutz. In some countries, hostels are fronts for drug smuggling operations (e.g. Guatemala and Belize) so it is better to stay in a hotel.

Sometimes it's best to use local knowledge when you get to a destination - you may find that people sleep on the beach safely, or that local buses are cheaper than the tours advertised in your country.

I know people who made money while travelling by working in bars or advertising nightclubs, but you need to make sure that your visa allows you to work - you do not want to get stuck with no money! And beware of being exploited or trafficked - avoid agencies who offer you accommodation with the work, and make sure you keep in touch with family and friends.

When I first travelled alone I was very frightened ;-) but I've never had any major problems. Just be sensible and respectful. Make sure you follow health advice and have your innoculations - most of the problems I've seen are from friends (and me!) forgetting pills or drinking local water... Check the fco website for local information, and read some good travel guides like Lonely Planet (they do some first time travel guides)

Almost everybody like to travel. There are a lot of ways to travel nowadays.One of the acceptable way to do it is to stop in a privat homes. With the help of internet you can contact with homeowners and discuss all the conditions.It is cheeper than to live in hotels from one side and comfortable from another side. I think it is a good alternative to hotels.But first, you have to know where are you going, I mean to know traditions of the country,the climate,language of that country.Sometimes you can travel auto stop,also you can rent a car or bicycle))))Good luck))

Hey, Laurentine! I've heard of these schemes where you stay in people's homes too, and I know that the Ba'hai have a network to help people travel. Do you know of reputable websites or organisations where you can arrange to contact people?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most dangerous places to travel in the world? shane 6 6,682 12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Martin
  Is travel good for the world? samuel1 0 3,456 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  travel from russia to cyprus how much will cost ? Evan 0 2,392 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What may be the cost for three weeks' budget travel in France? DorothyDBarry 0 3,725 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What is the most cost-effective way to travel from Frankfurt, Germany to Bochum, Germany? NancyKLynch 0 3,481 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: