Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could I get a job in Finland speaking English?
I'd like to move to a financially stable country life Finland, but I speak english.

Depends on your profession. If you plan to work for an international company of some sorts (like Nokia), I think you have a decent shot.

On the medium-to-longer run, I suggest learning Finnish and/or Swedish (the second official language), though.

Many finns are fluent in english. How are your finnish and/or swedish skills?

I'd like to tell you the thruth on Finland's future. It's not all that bright anymore, manufacturing and many other industries are moving to lower cost countries. Many EU countries depend on services now but Finland still has some exports and manufacturing left. It's very evident that we need a miracle to keep all this in here in this globalization and free market economy. Exports are down over 21 % and continues to decline. It's a significant drop and this bad situation in economy may lead to corporate tax revenues going down over whopping -50%.

Getting a job depends entirely on your profession and language will be an issue. We may have a lack of plumbers currently, but it's not for long that our schools spit out one thousand of them. :-D Still there's no stable employment. Nowadays it's just constant change that is reality. Maybe ten years ago companies had a longer attention span on employing but nowadays outsourcing is the keyword and four quarters.

It doesn't mean that you can't achieve a better life in Finland despite the current situation but really as a foreigner you have to be extremely tough. Many foreigners have own business, like turkish found some kebab places and asians some asian restaurants. Stable job is a no-no even for most of the Finns and that has been reality for two decades.

Some other answerer must be joking about Nokia providing a stable job. It's not been the case for the last ten years now. Nokia is just like any other big multinational public companies, only profits count and then you're out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How hard is it for an English speaking immigrant to get a job in Finland? MarioMJohnson 0 3,254 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How can an English-speaking girl study and get a decent job in France? Tar-Calmacil 0 2,779 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Where can I find an English speaking job in Germany? Theoden 0 4,493 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: