Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of you allow your politics to influence how you dress?
For instance, do any feminists refrain from wearing revealing clothing because they thinks it's demeaning? Inversely, do any feminists WEAR revealing clothing because you feel it's somehow liberating? Or do you refuse to let your politics affect your fashion choices?

I wear what I want. There's no reason for what I choose to wear, besides it being comfortable and if I like how it looks.

Sort of, in a round about way.

I believe in feminism because it comfortably fits my beliefs and values.

I wear jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops because they fit me comfortably.

Well, that and the SoCal weather that lets me wear sandals year-round :-)

I do.

I love genuine Harris tweed because it is manufactured under conditions which allow men and women to work at home and tend to their families while earning a living wage.

I am similarly conscientious about, e.g. products made by Chinese political prisoners.

EDIT

Lioness... your new avatar. WOWZA!

Oh, I would add, my commitment to free Software (which is a political issue) leads me to wear t-shorts supporting the Debian Project, The Free Software Foundation, and the GNU Project when I am not wearing a sports coat or blazer, dress shirt, and slacks or khakis.

Hmmm... does my tendency to dress in such clothes when not required represent a political stand? It does in a way, but I'd leave others to speculate.

At this point, the only thing that affects my fashion choices is comfort. Life is too short to wear shoes that hurt.

I purchase and wear clothing based, in part, on the manufacturer - a purely political calculation. I don't wear revealing clothing (unless I'm working out) as it is demeaning to society at large. When I am in the gym wearing my revealing clothing it does feel quite liberating. I refuse to let politics affect my fashion choices to the extent that I refuse to wear message clothing (e.g. F#CK BUSH t-shirts).

i dress for the occassion.
when i used to dance in a burlesque show, i dressed for it (usually a corset & little skirt)
when i go to work, i dress conservatively (and functionally, i have to crawl around in tight spaces sometimes)
when i go out with friends, i dress somewhere in between, becasue that's what i like.

I make a point of wearing absolutely anything I want, my only limit is my own comfort level. I'm the only person who owns my body and I can dress it however I please. I consider myself to be a feminist but I don't see how that would conflict with me dressing sexy or emphasizing my assets? I feel good and confident when I dress up or look good---equal rights for women or not. Maybe feminism has made me break free from what the "public" judgments and prejudice regarding a woman's body---so in a way, maybe my "rebellious" side and choosing freely were strengthened by my feminist views, considering I come from a culture that associates a woman's body and sexuality with shame.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm a slave to the politics of "rebellion" LOL

EDIT: Ditto Kat.

I'm eclectic in the way I dress, enjoy designing and working on clothes, have fun with my attire by taking a little of everything, from other cultures, my own or whatever is around.
I don't have a specific way of dressing myself all of the time, it all depends on my mood, sometimes I feel a little punk, others cutesy or sexy, maybe I just want to go simple with some jeans, t-shirt and sandals, however it may be, it comes down to whatever my mood is that day or the occasion - for example, if I'm going to a wedding, am not going to wear a little black dress with my combat boots.
Feminism or non, has nothing to do with that.

Edit: Right on Lioness.

As an academic I dress accordingly. It would be distracting to wear the same clothing in the classroom that I wore as a dancer or scrubs that I wore as the head nurse. At home its a different story.

When my students give presentations I make them don professional dress. I make sure they understand that the real world will expect them to act and dress as a professional.

My political views generally don't influence what I wear. I wear what makes me feel good. I don't care how feminists view my choices although I try to refrain from wearing pants with the word juicy on the butt.

My politics don't really influence my dress; I just wear whatever matches my particular style.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How did the slave trade influence African politics and the rise of states? FriendoftheSea 0 3,608 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: