Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am a from Finland and living in the UK.Can I travel back to Finland with my EU(Finnish) ID card?
As my passport has expired, and I need to get back to Finland on a very short notice, I'd need to know if my ID card is enough or do I need to pay for the new passport?

Thanks in advance

According to the Schengen agreement there is no problem travelling within the EU using a national ID card.

Britain never signed up to the Schengen agreement so I can see you possibly having problems when returning. If you have UK residence I would take some proof of UK residence with you.

This may be helpful:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://europa.eu/abc/travel/doc/index_en.htm">http://europa.eu/abc/travel/doc/index_en.htm</a><!-- m -->

I assume you speak Finnish - let me know if you don't and need more help. Smile
This is from Finnair's site (link below):

"Finnairin lennoilla hyväksytyt matkustusasiakirjat
Suomen ja Skandinavian maiden kansalaiset:

Muut Schengen-alueiden ja EU-maiden1) sisäiset lennot + Sveitsi:

* Passi tai 1.3.1999 käyttöön otettu uudenmallinen EU-standardien mukainen valokuvallinen henkilökortti, josta ilmenee kansalaisuus ja kortin voimassaoloaika (ei ajokortti)."

If you're using another airline, check their sites for information about accepted documents, and contact them in advance if needed.

If it turns out you need a passport, contact the Finnish embassy in London (link below) - it says "Väliaikaisia passeja myönnetään vain hätätapauksissa perustellusta syystä." on their site (I'm assuming it takes much longer to get a proper one) so you could try getting one of those, I suppose.

All EU ID Cards are valid to travel within EU member state countries... I have traveled countless times with my Portuguese ID card and never had a problem... It has always been accepted... Also please note should you ever have a problem like your ID card being expired and need to get home you can get a letter from the Finnish consulate stating that you are traveling home to renew your ID Card. Happy travels!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you could travel back in time!!........? shane 8 6,479 12-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Last Post: samuel1
  Can I travel to France with my passport and a Canadian permanent card? Wanda.D.Bright 0 3,459 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Things you didn't know about Finland Andrewz 0 11,959 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  I want to travel from Florida to Finland by ship. I want to stay there 1 month. How can I do this? LoriMPerron 0 3,627 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  how many people travel to Helsinki, Finland? Dennis 0 2,755 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  how can i travel from italy to finland by tren? JamesABixby 0 3,196 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Norway and Finland travel tips. please!? Howard.T.Smith 0 4,475 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  how long does it take to travel from germany to finland by sea? Shirley.B.Click 0 2,681 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Is there anyway to travel to Finland from the middle-east rather than plane? Elton 0 2,264 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  should i travel with a travel buddy or can i go it alone in Finland? John.B.Lovato 0 3,508 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: