Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What direction should solar panels face if built in the Southern Hemisphere?
If solar panels were on a solar home built in the Southern Hemisphere, should they face north, south, east, or west? and why?

Depends where you are. If you are South of 23 south then North. If you are near the equator then East or West.

depending on how far south but yes they should face to the north
Idealy they should be able to track the sun from north east to north west

You probably want them facing north by the same angle as your latitude. So at 40 degrees south latitude they face 40 degrees north of laying flat and from 20 degrees south latitude they face 20 degrees north of laying flat. At the equator they should lay flat, parallel to the ground.

during the summer north
during the winter south but facing up
this is because the directoln the earth is facing during the diffrent season. the southern hemispere faces south of the sun during the summer. so u should put it north, and the same thing for the other seasons.

If you built in on Antarctica - specifically: right on the south pole - then you'd need to angle it toward the horizon, since that's where the sun would be, and have it rotate once per day (thus tracking the sun). This of course means that it will always be facing north no matter which direction it faces.

Oh, and this would only work in SH summer, since in SH winter the sun would be below the horizon.

Of course, relying on solar energy at either of the Earth's poles is largely futile ... I was just trying to add a different answer...

I have mine facing North. They work fine. I'm at 38deg South.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many solar panels do I need to run my two bedroom townhouse without electricity from the grid? YoungWarrior 1 4,391 10-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: lolla12
  Solar Panels? NoblyBrilliant 0 4,720 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  solar panels? JackSHansen 0 5,301 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Solar panels? MaryAWright 0 4,649 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SOLAR Panels? Wealthy 0 5,927 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How does Solar Panels works and what is the cost of getting a solar panel installed.? IronMan 0 5,920 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How can electrons keep being generated by solar panels? WhiteorFair 0 4,631 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How is energy from solar panels converted to energy that can be used for solar power? NoblyBrilliant 0 6,613 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: