Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it like to take a politics class at a university in the deep south?
I go to school at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and I'd imagine that political discussions at my university are much different than those in the deep south? Do you know anything about politics classes/ university political discussions in the deep south?

It is the same as up there in Yankee land but we have a spittoon at each desk.

Its the same as it is anywhere else.

They are traditional Bush lovers. But many are turning liberal and support Obama, Hillary, etc... I live in Florida, and I believe it could be a blue state someday.

They are faith based and very red. One sided... I suppose they are similar in the North but I have found that "blue" states are more open minded.

I've taken poli-sci in both regions....the professors in Cali have an agenda...I don't think they ever stopped smoking dope...

I have lived in the South most my life, and let me enlighten you: Most academic types, wherever they come from, come from a liberal tradition. Most Southern professors either 1) are natives who go way out of their way to try to redeem the guilty South of it's racist, sexist past by preaching a liberal platform they learned as they grew older and wiser, OR 2) are "carpetbaggers" from the North who are determined to use their bully pulpit to teach the young people of the South tolerance and liberal points of view even if it kills them.

Either way, nearly all Southern professors are as liberal and tolerant as any you'll find.

Really.

I'm from Texas and I can tell you UT Austin is one plenty liberal university. It seems to me universities and college towns everywhere, even in the deep South, are bastions of liberalism.

That being said, I majored in engineering and we didn't discuss politics. For the one government class I had, the professor was pretty easy going and open minded. I'm guessing he was liberal. For my Texas government class, I had this mean old professor always blaming Clinton for something. I'm seriously not kidding.

no i dont i know they used to be about how much they wanted slavery