Forums
Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://eu-forums.com)
+-- Forum: World Wide Talk (https://eu-forums.com/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Political Debates Forum (https://eu-forums.com/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Should the Ukraine join NATO? (/thread-216.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Steven - 05-27-2008

Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko addressed Parliament on Monday, praising Canada for supporting his country's efforts to join NATO, stressing that gaining membership in the alliance is an important step in strengthening its sovereignty.
I think if Ukraine joins NATO, the US will extend its influence over Europe.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - clearman - 05-28-2008

Why not, if Ukrainians desires that? :mrgreen:

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Terry - 05-29-2008

Ukranians are like Georgians, they want to pass from the condition of being Russia's puppet country to USA's puppet state

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Benn - 05-29-2008

After the "orange revolution" in Ukraine, things are upside down.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - LION - 06-04-2008

In my opinion,Ucraine should definetely join NATO,because this is the only way to reduce the influence of Russia on their country Smile
NATO troups will protect Ucraine from expansionist politic of Russia,that is using it's natural resources to control the region

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Terry - 06-04-2008

Lion I'm sorry to say that, but you're thinking not logical. Russia today doesn't care about Ukraine. Russia has enough resources and whatever it needs to be powerful. If Ukraine joins NATO it will be the USA's puppet state. Americans know what they do, they need to pull Ukraine's legs. Ukraine is zombied by USA

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - ser_toma - 06-07-2008

Can someone tell me a good reason whay NATO still exist

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Steven - 06-08-2008

the USA's will. This is the reason

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Steven - 06-10-2008

The biggest part of the Ukrainians don't wish to join NATO. That's why it's hardly possible they will

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - LION - 06-10-2008

Terry,why is that you think that Russia doesn't care about Ucraine :lol: Actually russian authorities repeatedely said that if Ucraine joins Nato,they will consider this a threat to their national security.
Russia has a lot of resources and power,but still,it's not enough for them - they want to rule the region.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Faw_Peter - 06-10-2008

Ukraine is a strategic point for Russia. The Russian defense minister claimed that if Ukraine joins NATO, it will consider the question of returning back the Crimea

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - clearman - 06-10-2008

He's right. Crimeea was Russian land, but after USSR colapse, Ukraine keep this land. And the south of Moldova wasnt Ukrainian ever. There are some teritorial problems, of course.... :nonnon

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Steven - 06-11-2008

This means Russia has the right to gain back Crimea, I think. As well as Moldova deserves its territory

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Faw_Peter - 06-11-2008

yes, maybe it does, but it's hadly possible that Ukrainian authorities will just say - ok, take it it's all yours.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - clearman - 06-13-2008

Perhaps it’s vital for Russia to preserve her supremacy in the Black Sea area (in harmony with the legacy of Tsar Peter), but if Ukraine joins NATO, they’ll be unable to continue in this way…..
Russia ended to be an Empire or an Soviet Union in this region.

Why Russians settled their soldiers in Transnistria (a separatist region sandwiched between Moldova and Ukraine) and preserved their navy in Black Sea?

I consider that Ukraine has to join NATO suddenly, because Russia becomes stronger and stronger. Georgia also must do the same rapidly, even with her territorial problems.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Benn - 06-13-2008

No I think Russians can and they will get back Crimea if Ukraine joins NATO even if they need to launch war. They are men of principles you know..

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - LION - 06-14-2008

I agree with clearman that Ukraine should join NATO as soon as posible,and the President Iushenko should promote the advantajes of this membership for his country ;-)

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Terry - 06-14-2008

Yes, but what I meant is that Russia isn't concerned about Ukraine for the matter it joins NATO, because it won't! Russia can impose high prices for gas and place embargoes on import of Ukrainian products. That's why Ukraine will never join NATO, and even if it does, the following 10 years will not be sweet for them.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - clearman - 06-15-2008

[Image: UkraineGasMap.jpg]
Terry Wrote:Yes, but what I meant is that Russia isn't concerned about Ukraine for the matter it joins NATO, because it won't! Russia can impose high prices for gas and place embargoes on import of Ukrainian products. That's why Ukraine will never join NATO, and even if it does, the following 10 years will not be sweet for them.
The dispute between Russian state-owned gas supplier Gazprom and Ukraine over natural gas prices started in March of 2005 (over the price of natural gas and prices for the transition of Gazprom's gas to Europe). The two parties were unable to reach an agreement to resolve the dispute, and Russia cut gas exports to Ukraine on January 1, 2006 at 10:00 MSK. The supply was restored on January 4, 2006, when a preliminary agreement between two gas companies was settled. However, the inter-government treaty has not been signed yet.Amidst speculation that preceded the signing of the agreement, the presidents of both countries declared on January 11, 2006 in Kazakhstan that both sides did indeed arrive at compromises in a mutually satisfying agreement, and declared that they would more work of cooperation in other areas of conduct of the neighbor countries.A new gas dispute arose in October 2007 and it culminated with the gas reduction in March 2008.

A visa regime will be established for Ukrainians wishing to go to Russia if Ukraine joins NATO, said Saturday the Russian minister Sergei Ivanov. ;( :evil

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Terry - 06-15-2008

You see, that's what I'm telling you, Russia will find plenty of ways not to allow the Ukraine join NATO. Even if the Ukrainian government will try to enter NATO, the Ukrainians will organize meetings that might remove the governing authority, like an opposite movement to the "orange revolution "

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Faw_Peter - 06-18-2008

but still, talking about Crimea, if Ukraine joins NATO and Russia takes back Crimea, the Ukrainian economy will decrease very quickly. A share of about 20% of the fish industry as well as other industries is focused in Crimea

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Benn - 06-20-2008

yes, but it's not only industry which will suffer. Crimea has a quite fertile land, and thereby the main share of agriculture is focused there. For example the wine from Crimea is very good, since the climate allows growing qualitative vineyards there.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Terry - 06-21-2008

Also, the Ukraine's most important seaports are in Crimea. Russia knows that, it's an important military area.
Many think that if Ukraine did join NATO, then NATO would deploy nuclear weapons on their territory.

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - Faw_Peter - 06-24-2008

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nato.int/docu/basictxt/b021122a.htm">http://www.nato.int/docu/basictxt/b021122a.htm</a><!-- m -->
You can find here the action plan "NATO-UKRAINE". It was signed in Madrid on 9 July, 1997.

1997 - can you imagine, almost 11 years passed, and still no results!

Re: Should the Ukraine join NATO? - M.Helen - 06-27-2008

This plan is nothing more but formalities. It aims to "Fight corruption, money laundering and illegal economic activities, through economic, legal, organisational and law-enforcement measures". I think NATO will only increase money laundering