Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign languages in different countries
Each country has its own sign language, and it's useful to know them when you go abroad.
For example:
It is better not to ask a Bulgarian to show you the road. As it is known, in Bulgaria the sign of showing "yes" with the head means "no". So he can confuse you totally, and you will take the contrary road for sure.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

Never show to an Egyptian your thumb as a sigh it's perfect Confuseduper
This is very improper for them. So your further fate is unknown :oO
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Never give the finger (show fig) to a Japanese. This is how prostitutes make the clients aware they are prostitues.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

If after a Dutchman discussed with you he knocked several times his head with the fingers, don't worry about that - he thinks you are smart! :roll:
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

After a conference in Germany, the audience could begin knocking on the table with their fist. This would mean respect from the German intelligence's part.

During the meal, a German might utter some loud and diverse sounds. There is no reason to think he doesn't respect you. It's just that the Germans are full of respect towards food and physiology as a whole.

Never wave your hand to a Greek. He will decide you are swearing at him. Also, don't show your thumb to him, 'cause this means you're telling him to shut up.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

You should know that when getting acquainted with somebody in Japan, if they ask your name, you should tell your family name. The Japanese almost don't use names to call people

In Tibet one could show you his tongue. This means "Don't worry, I have nothing against you".
Smile
Really!

Steven Wrote:In Tibet one could show you his tongue. This means "Don't worry, I have nothing against you".
Smile
Really!

in Europe this will cost you expensive, taking into account the expenses for a good lawyer Smile
In india, if one shows you two fingers, this means he considers you a liar.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

In Italy your interlocutor could start scratching in an inadequate manner. Don't worry - it is as a rule for Italinas.

If a Japanese would like to have you for a few words, you will start waving away with his hands!

The only universal mean of winning somebody's favour is the smile.It is used and understood correctly in any country of the world. This is the mose efficient mean in communication, and finally the best compliment we can make to our interlocutor.

When Russians say goodbye, they usually wave hands not backwards-forward, but from left to right.

Faw_Peter Wrote:When Russians say goodbye, they usually wave hands not backwards-forward, but from left to right.
When Americans say goodbye, they just hold their palms horizontally, just raising it a little slightly, as if tapping somebody on the back.

In some African countries, the pinkie and index fingers pointed downwards means a total lack of respect or even a sign (to the person it is shown) of worst enemy.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

In Europe and USA an upraised hand means "stop"; in Singapore and Malaysia, it means "hail" to draw somebody's attention, f.e. calling a waiter

I'm not sure about this but a friend told me that showing to somebody your feet in Muslim countries means humiliation to that person. 8-)

by showing your feet, you mean showing them naked or what?

I meant the heel.

I would take it as a humiliation even in my country! I think we need a Turk to answer this question, Hakan where are you???

Never use your left hand to shake with the Indonesian/Malaysian, as they think it's rude and improper manner...

really. That's interesting. I'm left-hander and many of my friends are left-handers, we then probably shouldn't visit Malaysia.

There are no left handed people in Malaysia lol

There is some WC signs in different countries. Maybe you know more Smile

Attached Files Image(s)