Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wedding traditions in different countries
Italy
In Italy, the most popular form of courting is singing, nearby the girl's window, any song in the morning (mattinata) and in the evening (serenade). As a sign of approval, the girl throws out from the window a flower. Near the church's doors, where the wedding ceremony takes place, silk bands are tied, which symbolizes marriage bonds.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

Netherlands: the wedding dinner is taken before the ceremony. The dinner should compulsorily include "the fiancee's sugar" and a spicy wine, called "the fiancee's tears"

In Finland, the decisive moment of matchmaking is when the fiancee visits the fiance's house, where she stays for a week, carrying on a certain job (sew the pants for the fiance, make order in the house etc.

Norway: the newly married couple, in the wedding day, plant each a firtree at their house doors. By the end of the wedding the fiancee serve up cheese.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Danish consider that if a couple gets married in the Valentine's day, which in the most Western countries is considered to be the Lovers' day, then the couple will live and love each other for the rest of their lives.

In Turkey if a boy wants to tell his parents that he’s going to marry, chooses to tell this to the whole family in a traditional manner. When the family gets together to taste the delicious rice (our traditional meal) that their mother have prepared for supper, the young man who is going to make the announcement, in spite of the tasteful meal, doesn’t make a move… Instead he plunges quickly the fork vertically right in the center of the plate.
This picture, symbolizes that the young man is as lonely as the single fork inserted in the rice.
Then he’ll run in his room where … his mother, fully acknowledging the importance of the event, will follow him. Here she’ll try to find out who is the lucky girl, as he won’t reveal her from the beginning. So she’ll first start by asking about girls that are closer to the family, then about the girls that are living in the neighborhood, and so on.

The story goes a little bit more different when the young lady wants to send the message to her parents. Therefore when the family prepares the supper, she will take care about the dishes. But she'll put no knife or fork for her, which symbolizes that she’ll soon be living her parents to start a family of her own.

Oh well.. time has passed and things have changed. But it’s nice to hear about people who still respect those traditions. Smile

In Spain, the fiance gives his fiancee 33 coins as a sign that he cares about her and wants to support her life to be sweet. During the wedding, the fiancee keeps these coins in a special wallet. Earlier, in Spain there was a tradition to separate the newly married couple immediately after the wedding. Sometimes they had to spend their first marriage night under the supervision of a guardian. Smile
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”

Terry Wrote:In Spain, the fiance gives his fiancee 33 coins as a sign that he cares about her and wants to support her life to be sweet. During the wedding, the fiancee keeps these coins in a special wallet. Earlier, in Spain there was a tradition to separate the newly married couple immediately after the wedding. Sometimes they had to spend their first marriage night under the supervision of a guardian. Smile

How cruel! But you know there is an old Latin saying " Amantium irae amoris integratio est" :love

Quote:How cruel! But you know there is a old Latin saying " Amantium irae amoris integratio est"

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love! :-P
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

Steven Wrote:
Quote:How cruel! But you know there is a old Latin saying " Amantium irae amoris integratio est"

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love! :-P

True Smile
, where did you learn Latin?

I learned the Latin language at college, long time ago. Actually it was one of my favourite subjects. The language is useful for being since it is the ground of many European languages.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Steven Wrote:I learned the Latin language at college, long time ago. Actually it was one of my favourite subjects. The language is useful for being since it is the ground of many European languages.

Yes, its importance is equal to the history of Europe; I liked the idea that I had a chance to learn more about it. But unfortunately I was catastrophic at this, I just couldn't write it correctly. BTW I studied Latin at the Law school; hopefully, I won't need it in a lawsuit. Smile

Malaysia: each guest gives, as a gift, a boiled egg to the couple, as a symbol of wealth.

M.Helen Wrote:Malaysia: each guest gives, as a gift, a boiled egg to the couple, as a symbol of wealth.

Does they symbolize the future kids?

normally an egg is the symbol of life, what does it have to do with wealth I don't know.

M.Helen Wrote:Malaysia: each guest gives, as a gift, a boiled egg to the couple, as a symbol of wealth.

You're definitely correct about this matter, Helen.

Besides of the symbol of wealth, the egg also the symbol of longevity between the married couple.

In this case, I would give an ostrich egg! Smile

Did you know that in China if you don’t direct the spoon towards you when eating, can bring bad luck?

The traditional wedding custom of an Israeli bride wearing "something blue", with her wedding dress, originated in ancient Israel. An Israeli bride, about to be married, wore a blue ribbon, symbolizing fidelity.

It is interesting how similar this is to the British tradition. British Brides wear "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

Some couples also hire a chimney sweep to be at their wedding, because this is supposed to be lucky. This is not such a common tradition: I only know one person who did this ;-)

I wonder how a chimney sweep can bring luck??? :lol:
Is it considered that he allegedly cleans the "dark spots" that exist within the relation of the wedding couple?
[Image: adrian-payne-chimney-sweep-drawing.jpg]

I believe in many European countries it is a tradition that the bride throws the bucket of flower in the air, and the girl who catches it is believed to get married next.

LOL :haha I don't know why chimney sweeps are lucky - I have only been to one wedding where one was invited. But I did just look on a wedding website and found this:

Quote:Lucky Chimney Sweeps are following a custom that started about two hundred years ago, when a London Chimney Sweep saved the life of King George II.

The Sweep had been the only person brave enough to step forward when the King's coach and horse's bolted, the Chimney Sweeper pulled up the horses and saved the monarch.

The King was so pleased that he made an announcement by Royal Decree declaring that all Chimney Sweeps are good luck bearers and must be treated with respect.

The folklore was established and to this day Chimney Sweeps are still considered Lucky and are invited to attend Weddings to kiss the Bride.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.luckychimneysweeps.co.uk/">http://www.luckychimneysweeps.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

It is also true that the bride throws her bouquet (not bucket!!! That might hurt someone!!!) of flowers over her shoulder to the crowd. Usually the girls are fighting to the front of the crowd, and the men try to pull them away :haha

I find this very nice, but, what is really important - it has a bit of true. I know several girls that got married very soon after catching that bouquet of flowers. I don't know what's the point. Maybe the belief in this tradition is so hard, that it becomes fulfilled.

don't be surprised if during a Thai weeding you'll see the groom kneeling on the hem of the bride's dress. This symbolizes his control over her.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting traditions Big_Becka 26 18,199 08-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Last Post: samuel5028
  Interesting for tourists (traditions and laws) Terry 31 23,489 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Last Post: samuel5028