Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstitions in different countries
Each culture knows its own superstitions, regardless of whether it is American, European or African. Let's post here what we know about superstitions in your country.
Here's what I know:

In Greece, people use to carry in their wallet a little bone of a bat, since it's believed to protect from the evil eye. Every typical Greek house has a cactus growing near its door - it saves from troubles. Any Greek knows that if he sneezes, somebody thinks about him.

In UK it is believed that you would be lucky if you meet a black cat. Unlucky are those who break a mirror, see a crow. Not one Englishman will open his umbrella near the door or will put his new shoes on the table.

Any Irish knows that a werewolf is afraid of water. The Irish place metals on high levels. Blacksmithers are respected, since they are considered to dispose of bad spirits and diseases.

Italians think you're lucky to hear a cat sneezing. It's not good if a bird enters through your window. If an Italian sees a nun, he will seek to touch a metal, so that the luck doesn't leave him.

In China broom is given a special attention. They believe each broom has inside a spirit, that's why you have to use it carefully. Hitting someone with a broom means a curse. Number 8 is the lucky number for the Chinese. Number 1 means loneliness.

Japanese are afraid to be photoed in three. The one from the middle is expected to die. For avoiding misfortune, Japanese will not talk to man who talks while sleeping.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Terry Wrote:In UK it is believed that you would be lucky if you meet a black cat. Unlucky are those who break a mirror, see a crow. Not one Englishman will open his umbrella near the door or will put his new shoes on the table.
Terry, I'm impressed you know these! ;-) The black cat must cross your path to be lucky (sometimes people will try to tempt a cat... :lol: ) The UK has plenty of superstitions - more than I can list! - and they vary between areas.

Breaking a mirror, or walking under a ladder, will give you seven years' bad luck.

Magpies are used as an omen: one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told. However, if you see a single magpie, you can avert the sorrow: people in Cornwall will spit on their hands and rub them behind their back. People in Somerset will say "Hello Mr Magpie! Where's your wife and children?"

If a woman is the first to pour the tea in the morning, she will be pregnant by the end of the year.

The colour green is very unlucky for some, and green cars are unpopular. Sailors are very superstitious: they avoid green, and some will still not allow women on a boat.

In Cornwall, miners would eat a pasty for their lunch. You should save the end of your pasty and throw it into the mine, for the Knockers to eat. The Knockers are mythical creatures who live deep in the mines, and will warn you of gas in the mine. Cornish sailors do not eat pasties - it is unlucky to take a pasty on to a boat.

Any Irish knows that a werewolf is afraid of water. The Irish place metals on high levels. Blacksmithers are respected, since they are considered to dispose of bad spirits and diseases.
[/quote] Witches are also unable to cross running water, and all faery folk cannot cross where iron bars the way.

All over the UK and Ireland, an old horseshoe can be nailed above a doorway for good luck - you can often see them on old cottages and farmhouses :-)

It's funny how superstitions differ in different places Big Grin

In Moldova if you accidentally hit with your head your friends head you have to hit it the second time or someone will die in the family. :mrgreen:

Quote:If a woman is the first to pour the tea in the morning, she will be pregnant by the end of the year.

That's stupid, to me, no? So what, my girlfriend pours first the tea every morning, happily she is not pregnant yet
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

Admin, you are so right! Its really funny.

Big_Becka Wrote:The black cat must cross your path to be lucky (sometimes people will try to tempt a cat... :lol: )
WOW! We have an opposite superstition in Russia. When a cat, especially a black one, crosses your pass, its bad luck, and I've actually seen people try to shoo them off or run ahead of them. :lol:
To break the evil spell you have to spit three times over your left shoulder. 8-)

Mila Wrote:Admin, you are so right! Its really funny.

Big_Becka Wrote:The black cat must cross your path to be lucky (sometimes people will try to tempt a cat... :lol: )
WOW! We have an opposite superstition in Russia. When a cat, especially a black one, crosses your pass, its bad luck, and I've actually seen people try to shoo them off or run ahead of them. :lol:
To break the evil spell you have to spit three times over your left shoulder. 8-)

sure you have, just make sure nobody is behind you, otherwise you will get into real trouble Smile
That's interesting, just take a look - UK and Russia two totally different superstitions, does this mean these two nations think totally differently?
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”

Terry Wrote:sure you have, just make sure nobody is behind you, otherwise you will get into real trouble
:haha
Terry Wrote:That's interesting, just take a look - UK and Russia two totally different superstitions, does this mean these two nations think totally differently?
Well, its hard to speak for a nation as a whole, but I wouldn't say so.
I think that the core of every nation's mentality is pretty well represented in its art. Its hard to say what they think about Russian art in UK, but British movies and literature are well known and loved by lots of people in Russia. I am one of them. Can't count for how many times I've seen "Love actually" and Maugham is one of my favorite writers.
British humorous shows, such as Sketch-show, Mr. Bean and, of course, the classics - Monty Piton are very popular in Russia too.
So, as long as we cry and laugh at the same things, I hope we'll be able to understand each other. ;-)

Every nation has things common with other nations.
In regards to the topic:
In Spain, it is said that putting on a jumper inside out, you'll have bad luck.
In Venezuela, women will be lucky all year around if they wear yellow underwear on New Year. 8-)
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

In many countries, the fact that a girl accepts a present from her boyfriend on the Saint Valentine's Day (14 February) means she will soon get married.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

Benn Wrote:In many countries, the fact that a girl accepts a present from her boyfriend on the Saint Valentine's Day (14 February) means she will soon get married.

In Eastern Europe, it is said that If you drop a fork during the meal, somebody is expected to come.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Mila Wrote:
Terry Wrote:sure you have, just make sure nobody is behind you, otherwise you will get into real trouble
:haha
Terry Wrote:That's interesting, just take a look - UK and Russia two totally different superstitions, does this mean these two nations think totally differently?
Well, its hard to speak for a nation as a whole, but I wouldn't say so.
I think that the core of every nation's mentality is pretty well represented in its art. Its hard to say what they think about Russian art in UK, but British movies and literature are well known and loved by lots of people in Russia. I am one of them. Can't count for how many times I've seen "Love actually" and Maugham is one of my favorite writers.
British humorous shows, such as Sketch-show, Mr. Bean and, of course, the classics - Monty Piton are very popular in Russia too.
So, as long as we cry and laugh at the same things, I hope we'll be able to understand each other. ;-)
Sadly, there is still a lot of ignorance/humour resulting from cold-war propaganda :-( However, among the more educated, Russian culture (particularly literature and music) is very well respected. Nightwatch and Daywatch were translated in to English (both the films and books) and have a firm cult status Smile

Historically, Russia and Britain had a very good relationships - I believe the last Tsarina was one of Queen Victoria's daughters? And St Petersburg was very fashionable before the revolution.

well it's not only the UK which reads Russian literature or Russia that reads UK literature. There are universal literature cults, which are known and respected worldwide. I just watched a UK movie "The reader". K. Winselt's favourite book in this movie was "The lady with the dog", written by Anthon Chekhov.

In Mexico those who admire a child must touch the child with their hand to show the absence of envy or desire

There is a well-known superstition which says that a pregnant woman shouldn't touch her belly during a lunar eclipse. If she does the baby might be born with quite a noticeable birthmark.

According to Jacinta Gonzalez, many superstitions "relate to important occasions in a person's life, such as weddings." For example, if on the night of wedding it rains, the bride will cry throughout the marriage. Sad...

Big_Becka Wrote:And St Petersburg was very fashionable before the revolution.
Yes, the royal families were close relatives. As for Petersburg, it's getting more and more fashionable. It's crowded with people and tourists ecpecially in "white nights". And it is not a superstition. Smile

Europe Forum Guest Wrote:
Big_Becka Wrote:And St Petersburg was very fashionable before the revolution.
Yes, the royal families were close relatives. As for Petersburg, it's getting more and more fashionable. It's crowded with people and tourists ecpecially in "white nights". And it is not a superstition. Smile

yes, I've heard of those white nights. Many tourists indeed visit this city in June only for this phenomenon. Finland is also enjoying crowds of toursits due to it.

Steven Wrote:Many tourists indeed visit this city in June only for this phenomenon.
Sorry for digressing from the topic but "white nights" is not the only attraction at all. Petersburg is interesting for those who are fond of fine arts, architecture, theatres, suburbs. The Hermitage is enough to attract tourists.
P.S. I've visited Finland many times and find it the nice country (really nice) but Petersburg stands aside and inferior maybe only to Rome.

In UK, since old times, people believed that a woman is injected with medical abilities if she marries a guy with the same surname.

It is believed that if one dies, you should open the windows and doors of the house so that the soul could fly away.

In most countries, Friday the 13th is believed to be a very bad-luck day. Nevertheless, this date occurs at least twice a year. I don't pay attention to it, personally. It happened that I had a great Friday 13, but I didn't noticed the date and realized only the next day that I managed to have a lot of fun on Friday 13.

tricker Wrote:In most countries, Friday the 13th is believed to be a very bad-luck day. Nevertheless, this date occurs at least twice a year. I don't pay attention to it, personally. It happened that I had a great Friday 13, but I didn't noticed the date and realized only the next day that I managed to have a lot of fun on Friday 13.

Friday 13 takes place several times in a year. For example, in 2009 we are having 3 times Friday 13, two of which were already in February and March. So don't be afraid to be more careful three times a year Wink

tricker Wrote:In most countries, Friday the 13th is believed to be a very bad-luck day. Nevertheless, this date occurs at least twice a year. I don't pay attention to it, personally. It happened that I had a great Friday 13, but I didn't noticed the date and realized only the next day that I managed to have a lot of fun on Friday 13.

In 'The Davinci Code' they tell us that it's a bad day because the knight templars are being killed by the church.
[Image: gaara2.jpg]
Gaara of the Sand, Gaara of the Desert.

Quote:If an Italian sees a nun, he will seek to touch a metal, so that the luck doesn't leave him.

Honestly, I was wondering, "Is the Touch Wood act derived from the above superstition?"

By the way, do you know in Thailand, those people who offering flowers to the monk cannot smell the flowers! If you did, then something very bad will happen to your nose soon...