Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things you didn't know about Finland
Finland is the first country in the world after coffee consumption per citizen, and is the only country which indicator is growing.

The famous Linux was created by the Finnish student Linus Torvalds.

The company "Nokia" brings to Finland about 40% of the national income.

Finland is one of the few countries where euthanasia is allowed (the act of killing someone painlessly, esp to relieve suffering from an incurable illness).

Finland officially allows prostitution and unisex marriages

Finland's population is only 5,000,000 people.

The Finnish language is considered to be one of the most difficult in the world (along with Hungarian and Russian).

Wow, so we should understand that if not Nokia, Finland would have been by 40% poorer than it is today? Now this is what I call a giant company. The Finnish tax services must be happy about having that tax payer.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

something more: Finland is the country where most uncommon sports in the world are practiced. Tens of new sports are being invented every year.
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”
3ds Max tutorials | Light Wave 3d tutorials | MAYA tutorials | XSI tutorials

Finland is the most sparsely populated country in the European Union, with only 16 inhabitants per km²
Its territory has exactly 187,888 lakes, which is larger than 500 m²
“Love is like a booger. You keep picking at it until you get it, then wonder what to do with it.”

good example of ecological country:
10 % of its surface is covered by water and 69 % by forests.

Despite the cold weather, rainy days are only 120 per year.
According to statistics Finnish women earn 1.000 € less than men per month.

Finland is a great place for studying. It has 21 university level institutions and 30 polytechnics. The educational system is similar to the one used in Europe. International students make up about 5% of the total students from Finland.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

Web Design Forums - Server-Side Web and Software Development discussions

Steven Wrote:Finland is a great place for studying. It has 21 university level institutions and 30 polytechnics. The educational system is similar to the one used in Europe. International students make up about 5% of the total students from Finland.
I has always been surprised with Finnish education - not the system itself but the ordinary people's level.
I have never had troubles when turning to somebody for information - they always speak good (or at least very understandable) English.

Guest Wrote:
Steven Wrote:Finland is a great place for studying. It has 21 university level institutions and 30 polytechnics. The educational system is similar to the one used in Europe. International students make up about 5% of the total students from Finland.
I has always been surprised with Finnish education - not the system itself but the ordinary people's level.
I have never had troubles when turning to somebody for information - they always speak good (or at least very understandable) English.

yes, indeed. In Finland, knowing English is almost the same as knowing their national language. Probably it's because they understand that the Finnish language is very difficult for foreigners. It's considered one of the most difficult to learn and understand.
"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex." Smile

This country is full of different kind of rocks. You may think there's nothing special in this, but, these rocks are really big. They are similar to a two-storey house.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Vegan news | Vegan forums

In summer, darkness rarely comes. There is a phenomenon there named "White nights".

According to the World Audit study of 2006, Finland is the least corrupt and most democratic country in the world.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

According to the world forum, Finland is the world's most competitive state along with the United States.
“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.”
A really nice forum for Parisians

According to the Freedom House survey, Finland ranks #1 in press freedom. 15-years-old Fins have best literary capacities in the world

85% of Finnish people have the Lutheran religion, 1% are Orthodox. 6% of the population speak Swedish.

Finland is the only country in the world which broadcasts the news in Latin. Nuntii Latini - News in Latin - is a weekly review of world news in Classical Latin

Thank you for sharing useful information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USCIS| US Immigration Forms

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am a from Finland and living in the UK.Can I travel back to Finland with my EU(Finnish) ID card? Heather.R.Moore 0 4,466 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: