Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get my motivation back to finish school?
Classes are getting harder, and I've already completed around 60 credit hours at the end of this semester. I'm supposed to be applying to my major's course program this fall, but I'm just lacking motivation, feeling kinda burnt out, especially knowing that I still have about 2 1/2 years to go. How do I stay motivated?

You need to find the motivation on your own theres now real way anyone can help you decide. MAy the force be with you.

College isn't for everyone. You are just spinning your wheels and wasting time. It's time you get on with your life.

Think about the reason you STARTED school, and remember the end result. If you don't still agree with your reasoning for starting and could care less about the end result, I say change your major. Stay with it - it's worth it. I'm exactly where you are and I can't wait to finish - but you gotta get tunnel vision and keep on truckin!!!

You can try what I did; I was ambivalent about completing my degree, torn about what to declare as a major, and sick of being so poor, so I would take a quarter or two off and get a full time job. There is nothing so motivating to go back to school than to find out what miserable jobs there are out there for a non-college graduate. I would work for a while, put a few bucks aside, then happily return to my studies knowing the work experience I had was NOT the career I wanted. 2 1/2 years will seem short compared to a life time of minimum wage jobs. Good luck

Dude stick with it, it may get hard but it is well worth it in the long run just think that soon you will have a good paying job that you love. Rather than having a dead end job that will get you no where and you will hate for the rest of your life. That is what is keeping me going is being able to know that i will have the best job (for me) in the world!

Remembering how bad highschool was usually does it for me Smile

I'm a graduate student, finishing up this year (so that,s about 6 years of college) and I understand what you mean when you say you're burned out and tired. Still as someone had said, sometimes the only motivation to get out of bed in the morning is the knowledge that one day you won't have to do it anymore.

Unlike highschool where you were forced to attend, now more or less you do it because you have decided on having a better life.
60 Credits are already behind you and just now you're starting the classes related to your major: the thing you applied for in the first place.

I guess it helps when you don't look at college in terms of an artificial academic environment; you live on your own, you learn to be more patient with others (roommates!!) and in the end, all of you are getting grilled there, so there's comfort to be found in that.

Get 2 weeks off doing nothing and you'll start feeling bad and won't be able to wait to go back to being productive.

And last but not least; college is important but it's not the end of the world. Knowing that you've already achieved a lot and that even if something happens and you quit you still would have learned a lot makes it seem less intimidating and motivates you to stick in there and get as much out of it as you can.

And when your big exam is just on the next day remind yourself that in just two days tomorrow will be yesterday Smile

College will make it easier for you to pay the bills. Try paying the bills while flipping burgers for $6.50 an hour and get back to us on the importance of education.

Can't give any advice on motivation because I've never had any in the first place, but what keeps me going is knowing that if I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something worse. I don't like studying, but I'm pretty sure that I'd like doing the sort of work that most people who don't have degrees have to do even less. And hey! You're almost half way through! Only two more years to go and you'll be out of there.

On the other hand, university isn't the right thing for everyone. If you really hate it that much and know that you can find a job that you'll enjoy without finishing your studies, then ... drop out?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I get the motivation and energy to go back to work? Tillie9 0 2,893 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How do I find motivation to do school work? Sadie 0 3,051 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What was your motivation to do work in high school? Franny 0 4,116 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How can I get my workout motivation back? Dixie678 0 3,222 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Where to find a ton of motivation to get back to doing work? Liv 0 4,625 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How do I get my weightloss motivation back? Jaz34 0 5,405 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How to get back motivation for a diet? Pippa 0 6,874 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How do you get your motivation back? Lettie 0 3,980 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How can I get the motivation to get back on track with my diet and fitness? Minnie 0 4,856 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: