Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can electrons keep being generated by solar panels?
I was trying to figure out how solar panels work today and I found that electrons get displaced in 2 layers of a solar panel by photons coming from the sun to create power. If the electrons come from the solar panel and go into the electrical grid, how are they replaced in the solar panel? Wouldn't the solar panel eventually lose all of its electrons and stop working? Electrons have mass, so wouldn't the solar panel slowly deteriorate?

I think solar energy is awesome and I really want to know how it works. Any help in enlightening me on this subject would great, thanks!

No electrons are created or destroyed
and i think your forgetting about circuits, electrons return to the solar panel after giving their energy away to the power grid or whatever.

It's because the photovolcaics are closed-loop systems. A photon will come in and basically knock an electron across what is called a "junction" and create current, but it is "caught" (really simplified version) on the other side of the junction and kind of "bounced back" into place.

It's like Formula 1 racing or NASCAR. The car will be sitting in the Pit, just waiting to go, then will tear out, run a few laps until it requires more fuel, then stops in the Pit again, gets refueled, and just waits for the signal from the Pit Boss to get going again.

The limiting factor on solar cells isn't the cell itself, as in the electrical circuits and semiconductors, but rather the very slow degradation of the (usually plastic) that holds each small cell in place, so that it can create a useful photovoltaic cell. Since modern plastics can be treated with UV coatings to prevent degradation, and are practically immune to water, the only thing that can really hurt them is somebody whacks it with a hammer or drops it while installing it on the roof.

They're excellent. The south face of my roof is sufficient, along with a small vertical-axis wind turbine, to generate more power than I need, and it actually gets sold back to Sempra Energy/SDG&E.

I always liked to imagine electricity (AC at least) as a slinky. You shake one end and send a wave down to the other. The energy arrives at the end of the slinky but all the coils remain in the same spot.

Normal metal is a slinky on it's end: very rigid and a poor material for producing power. But if you use particular materials (like the ones used in solar panels) you have a slinky that usually stays in the stretched out position. When a photon comes in from the sun carrying energy it strikes this slinky of metal like a marble would. The energy is absorbed and causes ripples along the slinky. Conservation of energy.

I'm not sure if it is possible for photons to knock electrons out of their orbits but this isn't the case as far as solar panels go.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many solar panels do I need to run my two bedroom townhouse without electricity from the grid? YoungWarrior 1 4,391 10-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: lolla12
  Solar Panels? NoblyBrilliant 0 4,720 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  solar panels? JackSHansen 0 5,302 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Solar panels? MaryAWright 0 4,650 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SOLAR Panels? Wealthy 0 5,927 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How does Solar Panels works and what is the cost of getting a solar panel installed.? IronMan 0 5,924 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  How is energy from solar panels converted to energy that can be used for solar power? NoblyBrilliant 0 6,614 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  What direction should solar panels face if built in the Southern Hemisphere? Ruler 0 6,794 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: