Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU needs independency from USA
In Europe the Kosovo question highlights the core problem of EU - uncritical following of US foreign (cowboy) policy . Some times I ask if it is EU or only UK the 51st state of USA. Year 2008 has showed the chaotic stage of international Kosovo administration. Local administration has been in same situation already earlier due parallel institutions, corruption, ethnic tensions, tribe dynasties etc.

Very interesting interview of John Bolton, former US Undersecretary of State and Ambassador to the United Nations popped to my eyes few weeks ago. The highlights of his comments in Interfax interview were e.g. following:

Quote:* US recognition of severed Kosovo province was a serious mistake, leading to an escalation of tensions, instead of calming down the situation in the Balkans.

* support to the independence of Kosovo is an atavism that might have made sense 15 years ago, but makes no sense today.

* consensus boils down to the fact that nobody knows where Kosovo is

Mr Bolton really hit the nail on the head. I also think that the cause to the main problems in Kosovo is hesitation to admit old mistakes. The solution would be starting from clean table.

However two weeks ago U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Daniel Fried said that the U.S. is satisfied with the progress Kosovo. He also add that:

Quote:It is a place completely independent, regardless of whether a UN resolution says that exists or not. It is independent. Kosovo has been recognized by two-thirds of the EU sates, Europe, Japan and Australia. It is as an independent country. I feel sorry that Russia has chosen to make this thing more difficult rather than to ease it, risking the stability but also the European future of Serbia.

To me it is alarming, that this US policy has been made both during democratic and republican US presidents and not only in Balkans but e.g. in Iraq also. Future shows if the change will come with new president, will he change old advisers also. And will US succeed to gain support for these actions either through the use of NATO or by persuading the European Community or the newly emerging states of Central and Eastern Europe to get on side. :bombe
Tags: | Kosovo | Serbia | crisis management | USA foreign policy | EU enlargement |

Messages In This Thread